Through discovery research, I built a base understanding of user challenges related to online access and device literacy in a rural community of Hispanic immigrants. I surfaced unique accessibility challenges and opportunities that informed my own end-to-end design of an online health literacy tool for a local non-profit.
UX Researcher, UX Designer
The fotonovela is a traditional narrative medium similar to a comic book that uses photographs to tell dramatic stories with a morale. The Rural Women’s Health Project has used printed fotonovelas for thirty years in community health education. Paper fotonovelas fail to reach users spread across a wide geographic area.
Research goal and objectives
- Conduct foundational research to understand target users
- Conduct competitive analysis of other digital fotonovelas
- Conduct secondary research on target users
Recruitment criteria and challenges
- Only two primary users recruited directly, due to logistical challenges during onset of COVID-19
- Five secondary users recruited from community organizations serving primary user population
Example questions (written in English/Spanish):
- What is your preferred language?
- How long have you been in the USA?
- What is the primary device you use to access the internet?
- Can you describe a frustrating experience you have had with finding information online?
Analysis and synthesis
- Hispanic residents in rural Levy County have limited access to internet-ready devices and the internet.
- Hispanic residents in rural Levy County (and nationwide) prefer Spanish language and/or bilingual content.
- Hispanic residents in rural Levy County generally find the English language as a significant barrier to information accessibility online.
- A mobile-first website would serve time and data-limited users better than a mobile app.
- Bilingual content increases accessibility and engagement to wider audience
- A minimalist approach to site design - simplified navigation and interface, reduced animations and enhancements - will maximize accessibility to time and data-limited users.
- Personas and journey mapping informed wireframing and UI design
- Completed prototype delivered to client
Recruiting primary users was a fail, due to multiple factors (logistics, COVID, cultural factors)
Bilingual test design was insufficient